Mushroom Stuffed "Duck" a.k.a. Mock Duck


Recipe Upon Request: Somethings2Consider@gmail.com

The first time I had this was eons ago at a Buddhist temple in the East Broadway section of Chinatown. I was but a wee child so the primary purpose of going to temple- to pray, commune, pay our respects, meditate- completely went pass my head. All I remember looking forward to was the food. And, that I couldn't get second helpings. It made business sense since the food was offered for purchase afterwardsBut at my tender age, I felt bothered by that normally natural act of commerce. In a proclaimed sanctified place of worship, the commercial exercise of the free market just didn't sit right. Nor well...with my appetite. It was really really REALLY delicious food. Although the temple is gone or maybe relocated (haven't kept tabs), I'm sure the monks would be OK, if not on alms, then on their sheer cooking skills extraordinaire.

As the title indicates, this is a mock meat dish. This is a great dish to make for special gatherings where there are sure to be at least a vegetarian or vegan in the house and you want to impress. 

The mock part of this dish is made from thin beancurd skins, which are a type of wheat gluten. Depending on the processing technique, many different textures and consistencies can be produced- soft and crumbly, firm and chewy, smooth and stringy, and so on. This diversity makes wheat gluten excellent as a meat simulator and compliment to a plant-based or low-fat high-health diet. To boot, it is delicious!


Makes 2 large stuffed rolls; serves 4-5
Recipe Upon Request: Somethings2Consider@gmail.com



I think this taste best either at room temperature or cold straight from the fridge. You can serve this family style with a bowl of steaming rice or as a main entrée with some green vegetables!

_______________________________________
_______________________________________
If you found the content of this post or any other on this site informative, helpful or entertaining and would like to donate any small amount in its upkeep via PayPal, it is greatly appreciated^^


Comments

  1. I think I went to that temple too! Its food was really good, but a bit oily...wonder if it's still in op...
    Your mock duck looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts